The last time I made carbonara I made the same excuse, "I didn't feel like going to the grocery store." The only difference this time was that I also didn't have any pasta... so f-it I say! I'll just literally use what I have!
What I have (serves 1; what? yup, I was alone for the night):
1/4 C dried barley
1/4 C dried lentils
2 slices prosciutto
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
10 stalks asparagus, stems chopped, tips left intact
1 small onion, diced
1/4 C frozen peas
2 egg yolks
1/4 C fresh grated parmesan
1/4 C light cream
1) Cook proscuitto quickly over medium heat until crispy, then remove to a separate plate.
2) Add olive oil to the skillet, then add the asparagus and onion, cook until soft, about 5min.
3) Add the cream and let cook at a simmer until slightly reduced and thickened, then add the frozen peas and heat for around 5-10min.
4) In a small bowl, lightly beat the yolk of one of the eggs. Add a small amount (a tablespoon at a time) of the hot cream mixture to the egg to temper it and prevent scrambling. Then, add the egg/cream mixture to the saucepan along with the parmesan cheese. Remove from heat.
5) Add the cooked barley & lentils to the egg/cream mixture and cook over low heat until the sauce loosely binds the barley.
6) To serve: Pour the barley and sauce into a bowl. Top with the proscuitto and the yolk of one egg. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the top, and let your roommate take a hilarious picture with your dinner:
|For a vegetarian, she's really eyeing that proscuitto, eh?|